Subscribe:

Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Breakfast At Your Desk: Check Out These Unbelievable Pears!

I love pears, and because it's pear season, let's have some with yogurt and granola today, shall we? But, I have to tell you about these crazy grown-in-China pears that look like little babies! Yes, really--pears that look like babies. Here's the story...


A pear farmer in China has figured out how to grow pears that look like little (Buddha) babies. Hao Xianzhang, who has an orchard in northern Hebei province, attaches "baby-shaped fiberglass and plastic molds" to young pears for six months, and the result is sort of creepy, sort of fascinating pears that look like babies.


"People called me crazy," the farmer said to Reuters. "They said I was whimsical and it was impossible to grow baby-shaped fruits. They told me to stop wasting my time and money."


But, he's sold 18,000 pears for 50 yuan ($7) a piece. I guess there's a market for strange fruit. Still, I think I'll stick with regular Bartlets myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment